Thursday, September 05, 2002

Got another flyer in the mail from a political candidate that tells me I should vote for her because she believes in "faith and family". So who is against families? When is the last time we elected someone running on an anti-family platform? The "faith" word is the code for "I'm a Christian. Vote for me." I take extreme offense at the insertion of religion into campaigns. To use religion to appeal for votes goes against the tenants of most religions. If it doesn't it should. If I were of a God-like nature I'd be ticked off at those trying to ride my coat tails into elective office. Of course, this ploy only pays off if the candidate is in the majority religion. While I bet we have elected agnostics to office in Oklahoma I don't think they let their true beliefs be known to the voters. Telling voters in Oklahoma that one leans toward Buddhism has never gotten anyone elected here. Best keep that kind of honesty close to the vest. Cause in Oklahoma 52% of the voters are Christian and 42% know they better pretend to be Christian. The other 6% are not yet Christians.

I go to church every week because my wife told me she'd divorce me and take the children if I didn't get saved. She believes in family values so much she's willing to destroy the family on principle. So, I pretended to be saved. I can pretend very well but even I couldn't quite make it to pretend to be "born again". After all, agnostics have some principles you know.

No comments: