Saturday, April 26, 2003

Continental Airlines' "Frequent Flyer Awards"

In the mail recently I received from Continental Airlines an official-looking envelope with "Frequent Flyer Reward Vouchers" inside. Thinking my membership in their OnePass frequent flyer reward program had finally paid off and I had gotten one of those long-promised free tickets to some destination I opened the packet designed to look like airline tickets and found...coupons!!! And advertisements... for Mastercard, AT&T, Best Buy etc. I would get 10,000 miles on my Continental account if I signed up for Mastercard. So much for the "frequent flyer reward vouchers" the cover promised inside. Will I be getting a Mastercard. No. Does this type of direct mail gimmick endear Continental to me? No. I don't reward misleading advertising.

No comments: