Wednesday, January 15, 2003

Reverse discrimination

The News: President Bush, stepping into a politically charged affirmative action case, asserted Wednesday that a program of racial preferences for minority applicants at the University of Michigan was "divisive, unfair and impossible to square with the Constitution."

Well, I have to agree with the President on this one and applaud him for doing what is right. I was disgusted by the Senator Lott matter but I'm equally disgusted by reverse discrimination. Many universities and government agencies have indulged in reverse discrimination and it is time it stopped. I once had to change my career because I was told that my race and gender was not being hired and that I might as well go somewhere else. Racial discrimination is wrong, no matter who is being discriminated against. Intergenerational bookkeeping doesn't work and isn't right, period.

The Democrats are all over Bush on this one and even Republicans are jumping on the "affirmative action"bandwagon and criticizing Bush for voicing opposition to racial quotas. I don't agree with Bush on much but this is one time I have to hand it to him.

About the time I think I'm edging toward the Democrat side of political life they remind me why I can't be a supporter. Their frenzy to jump on the politically correct side and to deride Bush for being "anti-Civil Rights" is repulsive. Reminds me why I'm an independent.

No comments: